Rachel Eve Radway
Editor, Content Strategist, Writer
Topflight editor, content strategist, writer and communications pro with years of experience working with individual authors, nonprofits and businesses of all sizes. I work with you to produce clean, engaging, error-free copy that meets both your target audience’s needs and your business or creative objectives. My subject matter and industry expertise include arts and culture, travel and hospitality, e-learning, e-commerce, career development, consumer software and healthcare, among many others, and I’ve worked on a wide variety of print and digital content types. Savvy and sensitive listener, communicator and collaborator with a clear view of both the forest and the trees.
Relevant Skills & Experience
Editing, content strategy, and brand management:
- Copy and line editing of web and mobile content, emails, scripts, e-books, print books, newsletters, blog posts, marketing and sales collateral, ad/campaign copy and more
- Structural/developmental editing of manuscripts and other long-form content
- Content strategy development and implementation, including creation of editorial calendars and design of content workflows and quality assurance processes
- Voice and tone development; creation of house style guides and brand guidelines
- Management of content projects from requirements gathering through handoff to development team
Copywriting and business writing:
- B2C: banners/ad copy, product descriptions, homepage and landing page content, video scripts, newsletters, case studies, catalog copy, and marketing, transactional and service emails
- B2B/internal communications: web content, emails, press kits, sales sheets, bios, press releases, magazine articles, interviews, executive communications
Relevant Work History
SELF-EMPLOYED – 2015–present
- Selected projects/clients: Varied projects for a translation services agency; product reviews and guides for a consumer tech website; 84-page brochure for a European architecture and design foundation; blog posts, features, correspondence, fundraising materials, flyers, video scripts and other content for PETA; press releases, features, interviews and correspondence for two travel websites; new homepage and other website content for a promotions administrator; three books on expat experiences; workbook for repatriates; varied projects for Adobe
WESTERN UNION – Director, Global Content, San Francisco, CA 2012–2014
- Led global team of writers responsible for all of Western Union’s 200+ websites and mobile content; refined and updated voice, tone and style.
- Overhauled the translation and localization program for the digital business unit, including sourcing and managing vendors and developing workflows.
- Partnered with cross-functional teams to dramatically improve the online experience for our customers.
REPUTATION.COM – Editorial Director, Redwood City, CA 2011
- Created new editorial processes: Wrote style guide; developed workflow; implemented content QA.
- Managed content projects, including creation of new content marketing microsite.
GLOBALENGLISH CORP – Managing Editor, Brisbane, CA 2010–2011
- Managed content production projects for e-learning services company: Responsible for learner-facing text in flagship SaaS product, mobile platform and apps; ensured that all content was optimized for translation.
WALMART.COM – Senior UI Writer, Walmart Mobile, Brisbane, CA 2010 (consultant)
- Adapted/refined brand voice and editorial style for mobile; wrote copy, UI text for mWeb and iPhone app.
SMALL BUSINESS MAJORITY – Director of Communications, Sausalito, CA 2008–2010
- Led the team responsible for websites, marketing communications, media relations and research.
ADOBE SYSTEMS – Copywriter, Photoshop.com, San Jose, CA 2008 (consultant)
- Developed voice of Photoshop.com and Photoshop.com mobile; created editorial guidelines.
- Wrote marketing/web copy and product and transactional/service content for new platform.
PAYPAL – Senior Content Manager/Brand Manager, San Jose, CA 2007–2008
- Content team: Collaborated with product managers and user experience team on strategy and content for PayPal internal and external websites; wrote copy for emails, web flows, error messaging, landing pages, etc.
- Brand team: Ensured brand-compliant implementation of PayPal services; supported initiatives from creative review to internal education; produced brand guidelines.
- AMAZON.COM – Senior Editor, Seattle, WA – Wrote copy for home and landing pages, newsletters, product descriptions and reviews, ad banners and special projects.
- OLD NAVY – Copywriter, San Francisco, CA – Wrote marketing copy and UI text for brand’s first website, plus press kits, ads, packaging materials and print collateral.
- WILDERNESS TRAVEL – Editor, Berkeley, CA – Wrote all web copy for two sites, catalog content, special event brochures, direct mail postcards and flyers, newsletters and other print collateral.
Education, Languages & Intercultural Experience
- Summer Institute of Intercultural Communication (SIIC)—Institute of Intercultural Communication, Portland, OR
- Poynter ACES certificate in editing; copyediting course—Editcetera, Berkeley, CA
- BA cum laude in Russian language and literature—Amherst College, Amherst, MA
- Have lived in Portugal, Ecuador, Peru, Russia, Austria, England and New Zealand; familiar with Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, French, German and Italian
EFA (Editorial Freelancers Association) · ACES: The Society for Editing
ASBPE (American Society of Business Publication Editors)
Bay Area Editors’ Forum · Northwest Editors Guild
Volunteer Experience (past)
- Board chair, Leap: Arts in Education, an organization that puts teaching artists in
SF Bay Area classrooms
- Literacy tutor for adult ESL learner; literacy volunteer/reader for at-risk children
- Make-A-Wish Foundation wish-granter
- Decisional training coach: Worked with a prison inmate in Massachusetts on setting/planning for life goals